Sunday, December 1, 2013

Uu Us

This week we focused on Uu Us with the words to remember: "God made us wonderful!"
We talked about the five senses.  We played games which focused on using each sense - for example: for the sense of seeing, I put several objects on the table.  They studied the objects and then closed their eyes while I took something away.  They had to figure out which object was missing.  Then for touch, we took the same objects and put them into a bag and they had to reach in and feel it.  They described whether it was rough, smooth, bumpy, hard, soft, cold, round, a triangle, etc.  Here they are playing the game by themselves...

We also talked about what life would be like to not have all your senses.  We read a great picture book about Helen Keller and watched the Miracle Worker. I also started reading a chapter book about Helen before nap times.  We got to a part about the manual alphabet and how Annie would shape the letters into Helen's hand so that she could feel them.  As I was reading I was thinking that the content was really going over their heads and maybe I should stop and explain it. Just then I looked up and saw Claire in her bed, making her sign language letters into her other palm! These girls amaze me.

Things like that remind me of Charlotte Mason's philosophy of education - that each child is a person, not a container into which to dump information.  She emphasized spreading a continual feast of ideas before the child so she can take what she needs.  The parent/teacher's role is to lead them to wonderful things to think about and give the child time to digest and work with the idea  Sometimes I have to fight the urge to force their learning into a sequence that makes sense to me.

John Holt (the "father" of unschooling) is another literary mentor of mine and has a philosophy I want to emulate.  His emphasizes understanding the innate capacities of all people, including children, to learn and discover.  Curriculum should always be secondary to the learner's interests, desires, motivation, and goals.  Learning is personal, and is driven by the inherent desire 'to know' within each person, his curiosity, his need to feel competent and whole, and his need to have fun.  Learning happens as one is actively engaged in one's own life.  Children can learn without being "taught", and in fact, unwanted teaching can actually interfere with a child's natural process.
"By nature people are learning animals. Birds fly; fish swim; humans think and learn. Therefore, we do not need to motivate children into learning by wheedling, bribing, or bullying. We do not need to keep picking away at their minds to make sure they are learning. What we need to do - and all we need to do - is to give children as much help and guidance as they need and ask for, listen respectfully when they feel like talking, and then get out of the way. We can trust them to do the rest."  - John Holt
I have loved this semester of home educating so far.  Kindergarten is a great environment for trial and error without pressure.  I am having fun exploring different topics with them.  It is obvious that they are learning and growing and I love who they are.
....................................................................................................  

One of Nora's therapists is also a yoga instructor and she incorporates a lot of stretching in their routine together.  It is so beneficial and I've been looking for ways to get us into a regular habit of yoga together.  This week I found a poem online and added some movements that we can all do in varying degrees.  We've started saying the poem along with each movement for a centering start to our school activities together.  I love the idea of praying with the body and I think this one is a keeper, especially since Nora can do everything with modifications on her knees.  Here's the poem:

"Fearfully and Wonderfully Made" by Linda Kruschke (based on Psalm 139)
(Begin in mountain pose and take a few breaths here before beginning.  
When you are ready, move into extended mountain pose  as you say the following:)
I will praise You, O Lord for I am fearfully and wonderfully made
(move to swan dive as you say:)
You are the creator of my soul, my mind, my talents and strengths
(plank as you say:)
You knew me before I was and had a plan for all my days.
(standing lunge on left as you say:)
Take my strengths, O Lord,and use them to your glory.
(downward facing dog as you say:)
You are the creator of all that I am.  Your ways are too wonderful for me to understand.
Take my weaknesses, O Lord, my God, and show your might and power to overcome.
(move into thunderbolt or hero pose and say:)
I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
(then to child's pose to finish:)
To You belongs all my praise.

Here is our week in pictures.....

Claire works on her ABCs with a floor puzzle.  She's becoming very good at puzzles.
Busy Box Work
pattern block puzzles
Matching nuts and bolts
Playdate at Bouncin' Off the Walls
Making foam Uu's
Happy Thanksgiving - We had a lovely time at my Mom and Doug's.  Alyssa and Chris, Nanny and Poppop Mike and Aunt Karen were there too.

Reading with Poppi
Thanksgiving Walk
It was about 25 degrees outside!!
A typical early morning at church before choir rehearsal - sleepy kids in pajamas wait for choir rehearsal to begin
Mark played a Chopin recital at a nursing home. (I just found this photo - taken last week)  Nora fits right in!
Aunt Karen, Uncle John and Daniel came to visit.  Claire really enjoyed Aunt Karen because she told her the story of "Prinderalla and the Cince" and sang the "Turkey Tango".
Nora and Benny illustrating their stories
Christmas tree decorating party at Nanny Henny's with all the Aunts and Uncles and Cousins

1 comment: